Meeting "How To Build An Open Community (GUADEC 2020)"
- Start: Wed, July 22, 2020 - 16:45 UTC
- End: Wed, July 22, 2020 - 17:10 UTC
I started my career in an information technology working with students and lecturers from diverse backgrounds and abilities. While I was at the institution, I created and worked with different groups, and over time I developed my skills around community building and mentorship. In my experience in NIIT Port Harcourt center, Nigeria, the female to male student ratio was approximately 1:5. In some years, only one woman would graduate from the software engineering program or none. Seeing this as an issue, I formed a group of women in IT, mentoring them in their studies. I will use this as a case study to look at ways to build communities centered around mentorship.
In my talk I will like to share my experiences around the following topics:
- Taking the first steps in becoming a community builder
- Creating a diverse and inclusive community in a Nigerian educational institution
- The role of mentorship in making IT accessible
- The common and unique problems faced by the women I worked with, including learning specialized language and breaking into closed communities
More information available at: https://events.gnome.org/event/1/contributions/72/
Meeting organized by jflory7.iCal export